The functions of the Laboratory Service Directorate are :
- Analysis and pronouncement on quality and safety of food, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices, detergents, chemicals and packaged water for registration purposes .
- Analysis and pronouncement on compliance of food, drugs, and other regulated products with compendial requirements/registration status .
- Analysis of export commodities .
- Quality control of agrochemicals .
- Post registration monitoring of regulated products .
- Research on method development .
- Investigation and pronouncement on public complaint samples .
- Serves as reference laboratory for other Government Agencies .
e.g The Nigerian Customs Services by analyzing samples for Traffic Classification.
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) to identify and quantify Narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances.