Narcotics and Controlled Substances (NCS) Directorate
The Narcotics and Controlled Substances Directorate is concerned with availability and accessibility to narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and precursors for medical, scientific and industrial use, and on the other hand to prevent their diversion to illicit use and abuse.
The core mandate of the Directorate is to undertake measures to ensure that the use of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances are limited to medical and scientific purposes; through the authorization of import and export of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances as well as other controlled substances; as well as to collaborating with the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency in measures to eradicate drug abuse in the country;
Most importantly, the Directorate is to ensure that the country fulfills its obligations under the International Drug Control Conventions:
- The Single Convention on Narcotics drugs (1961), as amended by 1972 protocol.
- The UN Convention on Psychotropic Substances of 1971.
- The 1988 UN Convention against the Illicit Traffic in Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances.
The Directorate head office is located at Isolo, Lagos.
The Directorate is headed by a Director and is divided into four (4) Divisions:
- Narcotics & Psychotropic Substances Division
- Precursor Chemicals Division
- Inspection & Monitoring Division
- Drug Demand Reduction Division
- Regulates and controls the Importation, exportation,manufacture, advertisement, distribution, sales and use of narcotics and controlled substances;
- Undertakes measures toensure that the use of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and other controlled substances are limited to medical and scientific purposes only;
- Grants authorization for the import and export of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and general chemicals; and
- Collaborates with National Drug Law Enforcement Agency(NLDEA) in the measure to eradicate drug abuse inNigeria.