Public Alert No:31/2021 – Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. Issues Voluntary Recall of Specific NEUTROGENA® and AVEENO® Aerosol Sunscreen Products Due to the Presence of Benzene
August 20, 2021,
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control has been informed by US FDA that Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. (JJCI) is voluntarily recalling all lots of five NEUTROGENA® and AVEENO® aerosol sunscreen product lines to the consumer level.
The recall was due to low levels of benzene identified in some samples of the products.
Benzene is classified as a human carcinogen, a substance that could potentially cause cancer depending on the level and extent of exposure.
Benzene is ubiquitous in the environment. Humans around the world have daily exposures indoors and outdoors from multiple sources. Benzene can be absorbed, to varying degrees, by inhalation, through the skin, and orally. Based on exposure modelling and the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) framework, daily exposure to benzene in these aerosol sunscreen products at the levels detected in our testing would not be expected to cause adverse health consequences. Out of an abundance of caution, JJCI is recalling all lots of these specific aerosol sunscreen products.
While benzene is not an ingredient in any of our sunscreen products, it was detected in some samples of the impacted aerosol sunscreen finished products.
It is important that people everywhere continue to take appropriate sun protection measures, including the continued use of alternative sunscreen.
Affected Lots of recalled products.
- NEUTROGENA® Beach Defense® aerosol sunscreen,
- NEUTROGENA® Cool Dry Sport aerosol sunscreen,
- NEUTROGENA® Invisible Daily™ defense aerosol sunscreen,
- NEUTROGENA® Ultra Sheer® aerosol sunscreen, and
- AVEENO® Protect + Refresh aerosol sunscreen.
|NEUTROGENA® Beach Defense® aerosol sunscreen,
01320E01 01320E01R 01320E02R 17219E01R 33819E02R 30320E01 32420E01
Consumer Incorporate (JJCI) USA
|NEUTROGENA® Ultra Sheer® aerosol sunscreen.
NTG ULTR SHEER SPRY SPF100+ 3-5 Z ECMSPK
| 03/ 2022
NEUTROGENA® Invisible Daily™ defense aerosol sunscreen,
|NEUTROGENA® Cool Dry Sport aerosol sunscreen,
NTG COOL DRY SPORT SBS SPR SPF
|AVEENO P+R SUNSCREEN SPF60 BODY SPRAY||2023/01
- NAFDAC implores all importers, wholesalers, and retailers to immediately stop the importation, distribution, and sale of the recalled product.
- Consumers should stop using these affected lots of aerosol products and appropriately submit to nearest NAFDAC office for regulatory action.
- Consumers should contact their physician or healthcare provider if they have any questions, concerns or have experienced any problems related to using these aerosol sunscreens.
- Adverse reactions or quality problems experienced with the use of this product may be reported to the nearest NAFDAC office, NAFDAC PRASCOR (20543 TOLLS FREE from all networks) or via firstname.lastname@example.org or via e-reporting at nafdac.gov.ng