OVERVIEW OF CER DIRECTORATE
Chemical Evaluation and Research Directorate (CER) is one of the thirteen (13) Directorates in the Agency.
The Directorate is responsible for the Regulation and Control of Chemicals.
The Directorate has Four (4) divisions headed by Deputy Directors and One (1) unit:
- Chemical Imports Controlled Division
- Chemical Monitoring & Risk Assessment Division
- Agro-Chemicals & Chemical Control Division
- Chemical Research & ReviewDivision
- Managing of Chemical Safety Risk
- Conducting Surveillance and Monitoring hazardous (general industrial, laboratory, restricted, agro-chemicals and controlled chemicals etc)
- Developing and providing policies and science-based advice and information on chemical risk assessment
- Developing and promoting standards, regulations and guidelines on the handling of chemicals
- Regulating and controlling the manufacture, exportation, importation, advertisement, distribution and sales and useof chemicals (general, Industrial, laboratory restricted agrochemical etc)
- Investigating and Inspecting production, storage premises and raw materials for chemicals
- Ensuring and assuring compliance with international andNAFDAC current Good Manufacturing Practiceregulations
- Inspection of premises of foreign manufacturers of regulated chemicals for Import to Nigeria to ensure quality assurance and to certify production sites; and
- Reviewing of inspection findings and production and regulatory actions for violators.