FSAN Headquarters, Second Floor, NAFDAC Office Complex, Plot 1, Isolo Industrial Estate, Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, Isolo, Lagos
+234(0) 906 095 6907
Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (FSAN)Welcome to the Directorate of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (FSAN) Directorate is to take all steps to ensure that food manufactured, imported, exported, distributed, sold, advertised and used in Nigeria meet the highest standard of Food Safety reasonably achievable.
The Directorate has put in place a framework to key into International best practices to align with the Agency’s vision to remain among the top 18 Regulatory Agencies of the world.
The Directorate Head office is located at Operational OfficeIsolo, Lagos.
The Directorate Is headed by a Director and it is divided into seven (7) Divisions:
- Food Evaluation Division
- Food Inspection Division
- MSM & Agricultural Products
- Food Safety/Codex/ Food Policy & Reg/National Food Safety Mgt Committee Division
- Food Storage & Quick Service Restaurants Division
- Packaged Water Division
- Bakery & Baked Products Division
Functions of the Directorate
These include ensuring that:
- Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) inspections of Food and Water Establishments, Quick Service Restaurants, Bakeries, etc. are conducted sequel to registration or listing of products.
- Safety evaluation of all processed Foods, Food Supplements, water, Food additives and related products meet the highest standards before pre-market authorization or use.
- Regulations and Policies governing the safety of Food and Food products are current and implemented to assure Food safety.
- Conducting health risk and benefit assessments of Food, Water and related products.
- Regulations and activities dealing with proper labeling of foods (e.g. ingredients, nutrition, health claims) are truthful, not misleading and are verifiable.
- Regulatory and research programs are conducted to address health risk associated with Food borne ailment, physical, chemical, and biological contaminants in Food and related products.
- Strong collaboration and cooperative relationships exist through communication and consultation with all relevant stakeholders in the Food Chain from farm to table.
- Policies, standards and guidelines for novel foods, functional foods, supplements including genetically modified food and new food additives are developed.
- Industry Outreach, Consumer Education and stakeholders meeting toprovide information and for meaningful engagement.
- Consumers are protected from unfair practices, through a fair and effective Food, Water and related products regulatory regime that supports made in Nigeria, ECOWAS and International markets.
- Information to support Nigerians in their decisions about Food and diet is readily available.
- Contribution is made to the security of Nigerians’ Food supply.
- Codex Alimentarius Commission activities are coordinated and promoted for the development of International and Regional Food standards, guidelines and code of practices to protect the health of consumers and ensure fair trade practices in the food trade.
- Collaboration with Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) in formulating Nigerian Industrial Standards (NIS) on food products is sustained.
- Promotion and coordination of Sanitary and Phyto-Sanitary measures (SPS) World Trade Organization agreement and activities of SPS enquiry point domiciled at NAFDAC.
- Promotion and coordination of the activities of International Food Safety Authorities Network (INFOSAN).