1st Floor, NAFDAC HQ, Plot 2032, Olusegun Obasanjo Way, Zone 7, Wuse-Abuja
Pharmacovigilance and Post Market Surveillance (PV/PMS)Welcome to Pharmacovigilance and Post-Market Surveillance Directorate
Welcome to Pharmacovigilance and Post-Market Surveillance Directorate
Pharmacovigilance/Post Marketing Surveillance(PV/PMS) Directorate is one of the technical Directorates of the Agency. It operates from the NAFDAC Corporate Headquarters Abuja, and PV/PMS office Lagos. It has presence in the six (6) Zonal Offices and in the State Offices.
The Directorate is headed by a Director and it is structured into the following Divisions:
- Pharmacovigilance Division
- Post Market Surveillance Division
- Food, Drug Information Centre
- Advocacy & Public Health Collaborations Division
- PV/PMS Lagos Division
In addition to the various Divisions within the PV/PMS Directorate, the Pharmacovigilance Zonal Centers situated in various Tertiary Institutions complement the work of the Directorate by creating PV awareness among Healthcare Providers as well as collation of completed Adverse Drug Reaction (ADR) reporting forms. The Host Institutions include;
- Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital (ABUTH) Zaria
- University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH)
- University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH)
- Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH)
- University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH)
- Federal Medical Centre (FMC) Owerri
PV/PMS is saddled with the following responsibilities;
- Implementation of National Policy on Pharmacovigilance and provision of science-based advice and information on safe use of medicines.
- Post Marketing Surveillance of all Regulated Products in collaboration with Marketing Authorization Holders (MAHs).
- Coordination of Pharmacovigilance activities Nationwide.
- Implementation of Risk Management Plans (RMP) in collaboration with the Pharmaceutical Industry and MAHs as appropriate
- Pharmacovigilance Inspections.
- Supporting the establishment of active Pharmacovigilance Centers in Healthcare Institutions in the Country.
- Creation of awareness on Pharmacovigilance among health professionals, healthcare providers, Marketing Authorization Holders and the general public.
- Promoting rational and safe use of medicines in Nigeria.
- Medicine safety communication.
- Coordinating the activities of the National Drug Safety Advisory Committee (NDSAC).
- Sourcing, collating, preserving, storing, retrieving and dissemination of information on Food, Drugs, Cosmetics, Chemicals, and other NAFDAC Regulated Products.
- Establishing and maintaining a functional national database on ADRs and other medicine related problems.
- Conducting regular survey on regulated products for required regulatory action.
- Coordinating the activities of NAFDAC Consumer Safety Club NCSC in Secondary Schools and NAFDAC Consumer Safety Publications NCSP.