Ports Inspection Directorate (PID)
Ports Inspection Directorate is responsible for ensuring that NAFDAC regulated products imported into or exported out of Nigeria meet requisite standards of safety and right quality.
The Directorate Head office is located at Yaba Operational Office, Lagos.
The activities of the Directorate were carried out by the various Divisions, Units, Ports and Outstation offices viz:
- Director’s Office
- E-Clearance/Statistics Unit
- Quality Management System (QMS)
- Port Chemical, Cosmetics and Medical Devices
- Port Drug
- Port Food
- New Technologies/ Post Port-Clearance
Port Offices in Lagos
- Kirikiri Lighter Terminal
- Lilypond, Ikorodu
- Lagos – Murtala Mohammed International, Airport,
- Kano –Aminu International Airport, Kano,
- Abuja – Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja,
- Enugu – Akanu Ibiam InternationalAirport, Enugu
- Outstation Offices:
- Land borders:
The mandate of the Directorate amongst other things embraced the following statutory functions:
- To regulate and control the importation of drug, food, medical devices, cosmetics, detergents, drinks and bottled water.
- Screening of import documents before the issuance of pre-release stamps.
- To undertake the inspection of imported food, drugs, medical devices, cosmetics, Chemicals, detergents, drinks and bottled water at ports of entry before release.
- To control the exportation of regulated products and issue quality certification for such regulated products.